COVID-19: An Experience from a Tertiary Care Hospital of Nowshera
Objective: To determine the frequency of COVID-19 and characteristics of patients presenting to the COVID-19 clinic at Qazi Hussain Ahmed Medical Complex (QHAMC) Nowshera.
Methodology: This cross-sectional study was conducted from 21st Feb 2019 to April 8, 2020, in QHAMC Nowshera. Relevant information was collected on a pre-designed Performa prepared following the objectives of the study.
Results: Out of 220 patients, 165(75%) were males, and 55(25%) females. 96(43.6%) of the patients were in the age range 18-30 years followed by 52(23.6%) in age range 31-45years and 17(7.7%) with age>60 years etc. Out of total the nasopharyngeal swabs of 26(11.6%) strong suspects were sent for PCR testing. 208(94.5%) were sent home while 12(5.5%) were advised quarantine. Forty-seven (21.4%) had a travel history to an epidemic area in the last 14 days. 51(23.2%) had a positive history of contact. Eighty-five (38.6%) had a fever and sore throat followed by 27(12.3%) with (fever & cough), 24(10.9%) with (cough and shortness of breath/dyspnea) and 14(6.4%) with a simple flue, etc. Out of 26 cases, 6(2.7%) were COVID-19 Positive, 12(5.5%) were negative and results of 8(3.6%) were still awaited. The PCR repeated the test for confirmed cases showed; 4(1.8%) negative, one died and one was refractory positive. A positive correlation (p=0.03, r=0.4) of an increase in age with the severity of the disease/outcome was recorded.
Conclusion: The frequency of infectivity with COVID-19 was 2.6%. A higher number of patients with mild symptoms attend the COVID clinic. The rate of infection and mortality was higher in age> 60 years.
2. Guo YR, Cao QD, Hong ZS, Tan YY, Chen SD, Jin HJ, Tan KS, Wang DY, Yan Y.The origin, transmission and clinical therapies on coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) outbreak - an update on the status. Mil Med Res. 2020, 7(1):11. DOI: 10.1186/s40779-020-00240-0.
3. Munster VJ, Koopmans M, van Doremalen N, van Riel D, de Wit E. A novel coronavirus emerging in China—key questions for impact assessment. New England Journal of Medicine. 2020 Feb 20;382(8):692-4. DOI: 10.1056/NEJMp2000929
4. "Coronavirus in Pakistan - Confirmed Cases". www.covid.gov.pk/. Retrieved 6 April 2020.
5. "LIVE: PM Imran urges Pakistanis to be steadfast in their faith amid COVID-19 crisis". The Express Tribune. 4 April 2020. Retrieved 4 April 2020.
6. "Pakistan prepares to fight back as two coronavirus cases emerge in country". Arab News PK. 26 February 2020. Retrieved 4 March 2020.
7. Chen N, Zhou M, Dong X, Qu J, Gong F, Han Y, Qiu Y, Wang J, Liu Y, Wei Y, Yu T. Epidemiological and clinical characteristics of 99 cases of 2019 novel coronavirus pneumonia in Wuhan, China: a descriptive study. The Lancet. 2020 Feb 15;395(10223):507-13. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(20)30211-7
8. Wan S, Xiang Y, Fang W, Zheng Y, Li B, Hu Y, Lang C, Huang D, Sun Q, Xiong Y, Huang X. Clinical features and treatment of COVID‐19 patients in northeast Chongqing. Journal of medical virology. 2020 Mar 21. https://doi.org/10.1002/jmv.25783
9. Cascella M, Rajnik M, Cuomo A, Dulebohn SC, Di Napoli R. Features, evaluation and treatment coronavirus (COVID-19). InStatpearls [internet] 2020 Mar 8. StatPearls Publishing.
10. National Health Commission of People’s Republic of China. Notice on printing and distributing the work plan for prevention and control of pneumonia caused by novel coronavirus infection in the near future. 2020. http://www.nhc.gov.cn/tigs/s7848/202001/808bbf75e5ce415aa19f74c78ddc653f.shtml. Accessed 31 Jan 2020.
11. Cascella M, Rajnik M, Cuomo A, Dulebohn SC, Di Napoli R. Features, evaluation and treatment coronavirus (COVID-19). InStatpearls [internet] 2020 Mar 8. StatPearls Publishing.
12. Zhong BL, Luo W, Li HM, Zhang QQ, Liu XG, Li WT, Li Y. Knowledge, attitudes, and practices towards COVID-19 among Chinese residents during the rapid rise period of the COVID-19 outbreak: a quick online cross-sectional survey. International journal of biological sciences. 2020;16(10):1745. doi: 10.7150/ijbs.45221
13. Zhou F, Yu T, Du R, Fan G, Liu Y, Liu Z, Xiang J, Wang Y, Song B, Gu X, Guan L. Clinical course and risk factors for mortality of adult inpatients with COVID-19 in Wuhan, China: a retrospective cohort study. The lancet. 2020 Mar 11. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(20)30566-3
14. Tey J, Ho S, Choo BA, Ho F, Yap SP, Tuan JK, Leong CN, Cheo T, Sommat K, Wang ML. Navigating the challenges of the COVID-19 outbreak: perspectives from the radiation oncology service in singapore. Radiotherapy and Oncology. 2020 Mar 31. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.radonc.2020.03.030
15. Hu Z, Song C, Xu C, Jin G, Chen Y, Xu X, Ma H, Chen W, Lin Y, Zheng Y, Wang J. Clinical characteristics of 24 asymptomatic infections with COVID-19 screened among close contacts in Nanjing, China. Science China Life Sciences. 2020 Mar 4:1-6.
16. Zhang L, Zhu F, Xie L, Wang C, Wang J, Chen R, Jia P, Guan HQ, Peng L, Chen Y, Peng P. Clinical characteristics of COVID-19-infected cancer patients: a retrospective case study in three hospitals within Wuhan, China. Annals of Oncology. 2020 Mar 26. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.annonc.2020.03.296
17. Zhao D, Yao F, Wang L, Zheng L, Gao Y, Ye J, Guo F, Zhao H, Gao R. A comparative study on the clinical features of COVID-19 pneumonia to other pneumonias. Clinical Infectious Diseases. 2020 Mar 12. https://doi.org/10.1093/cid/ciaa247
18. Mizumoto K, Kagaya K, Zarebski A, Chowell G. Estimating the asymptomatic proportion of coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) cases on board the Diamond Princess cruise ship, Yokohama, Japan, 2020. Euro Surveill. 2020;25(10):2000180. doi:10.2807/1560-7917.ES.2020.25.10.2000180.
19. Zhou X, Li Y, Li T, Zhang W. Follow-up of asymptomatic patients with SARS-CoV-2 infection. Clinical Microbiology and Infection. 2020 Mar 28. DOI:https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cmi.2020.03.024
20. Quilty BJ, Clifford S, Flasche S, Eggo RM. Effectiveness of airport screening at detecting travellers infected with novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV). Eurosurveillance. 2020 Feb 6;25(5):2000080.
21. Tian S, Hu N, Lou J, Chen K, Kang X, Xiang Z, Chen H, Wang D, Liu N, Liu D, Chen G. Characteristics of COVID-19 infection in Beijing. Journal of Infection. 2020 Feb 27. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jinf.2020.02.018
22. Chavez S, Long B, Koyfman A, Liang SY. Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19): A primer for emergency physicians. The American journal of emergency medicine. 2020 Mar 24. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajem.2020.03.036
23. Verity R, Okell LC, Dorigatti I, Winskill P, Whittaker C, Imai N, Cuomo-Dannenburg G, Thompson H, Walker PG, Fu H, Dighe A. Estimates of the severity of coronavirus disease 2019: a model-based analysis. The Lancet infectious diseases. 2020 Mar 30.
24. Porcheddu R, Serra C, Kelvin D, Kelvin N, Rubino S. Similarity in Case Fatality Rates (CFR) of COVID-19/SARS-COV-2 in Italy and China. J Infect Dev Ctries. 2020 Feb 29;14(2):125-128. DOI: 10.3855/jidc.12600.
25. CDC COVID-19 Response Team. Severe Outcomes Among Patients with Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) - United States, February 12-March 16, 2020. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2020 Mar 27;69(12):343-346. DOI: 10.15585/mmwr.mm6912e2.
26. Yang Y, Lu Q, Liu M, Wang Y, Zhang A, Jalali N, et al.2020. Epidemiological and clinical features of the 2019 novel coronavirus outbreak in China. medRxiv. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1101/2020.02.10.20021675
Copyright (c) 2020 Hamzullah Khan, Mohammad Zahid Khan, Mian Mohammad Naveed
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
All research articles published in the Journal of Rawalpindi Medical College (JRMC) are fully open access: immediately freely available to read, download, and share. Copyrights of all articles published in JRMC are retained by the authors. First publication rights are granted to JRMC. The journal/publisher is not responsible for subsequent uses of the work.
All articles are published under the Creative Commons Attribution (CC BY-SA 4.0) license.