The Klippel-Trenaunay syndrome (KTS): A case report in an infant
Background: Klippel-Trenaunay syndrome (KTS) is a rare congenital disease having an incidence of 1/20-40,000, live births. KTS is a congenital, vascular disorder affecting usually one or rarely more than one limbs. It is characterized by port wine stain (capillary malformation), limb hemihypertrophy and other vascular anomalies.
Case presentation: We present a case of this rare disorder in an infant who presented at an early stage of this disorder. The index case presented to us with a port wine stain and soft tissue edema of right lower limb. The Doppler scan showed venous malformation of right leg. The diagnosis was made on the basis of clinical and radiological criteria.
Conclusion: The case is being reported in order to increase awareness among medical professionals.
2. Sung HM, Chung HY, Lee SJ, Lee JM, Huh S, Lee JW, Choi KY, Yang JD, Cho BC. Clinical experience of the Klippel-Trenaunay syndrome. Archives of plastic surgery. 2015 Sep;42(5):552.
3. Samo S, Sherid M, Husein H, Sulaiman S, Yungbluth M, Vainder JA. Klippel-Trenaunay syndrome causing life-threatening GI bleeding: a case report and review of the literature. Case reports in gastrointestinal medicine. 2013 Jun 3;2013.
4. Sharma D, Lamba S, Pandita A, Shastri S. Klippel–Trénaunay syndrome–a very rare and interesting syndrome. Clinical Medicine Insights: Circulatory, Respiratory and Pulmonary Medicine. 2015 Jan;9:CCRPM-S21645.
5. Hu P, Zhang GY, Wang Y, Cheng Y, Wang LL. Klippel–Trenaunay syndrome in combination with congenital dislocation of the hip. Journal of the Chinese Medical Association. 2013 Apr 1;76(4):229-31.
6. Volz KR, Kanner CD, Evans J, Evans KD. Klippel‐Trénaunay Syndrome: Need for Careful Clinical Classification. Journal of Ultrasound in Medicine. 2016 Sep;35(9):2057-65.
7. Camila k janniger, md . Klippel-Trenaunay-Weber Syndrome . Medscape. Weblog. [Online] Available from: https://reference.medscape.com/article/1084257-overview#a5 [Accessed 23 July 2020].
8. Reddy OJ, Gafoor JA, Rajanikanth M, Prasad PO. Klippel-Trenaunay syndrome with review of literature. Journal of Dr. NTR University of Health Sciences. 2015 Apr 1;4(2):120.
9. Ikpeme AA, Usang UE, Inyang AW, Ani N. Klippel trenaunay syndrome: A Case report in an adolescent Nigerian boy. Open access Macedonian journal of medical sciences. 2015 Jun 15;3(2):322.
10. Rasheed R, Durr-e-Sabih MK, Uddin N. Klippel-Trenauna y syndrome. J Coll Physicians Surg Pak. 2009 Nov 1;19(11):729-31.
11. Jalil J, Shafique M, Ghafoor T, Amin U. Klippel Trenauny Syndrome. JPMA. The Journal of the Pakistan Medical Association. 2007 Mar;57(3):150.
Copyright (c) 2020 Muhammad Khalil Surani, Asia Noureen, Umair Khizar, Summera Tabasum
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
All research articles published in the Journal of Rawalpindi Medical College (JRMC) are fully open access: immediately freely available to read, download, and share. Copyrights of all articles published in JRMC are retained by the authors. First publication rights are granted to JRMC. The journal/publisher is not responsible for subsequent uses of the work.
All articles are published under the Creative Commons Attribution (CC BY-SA 4.0) license.