A Comparison of QTc Abnormalities in Cirrhotics with Non-Cirrohotic
Objective: To compare the frequency of prolonged QTc interval in cirrhotics with non-cirrhotics having chronic liver disease.
Study design: Cohort study
Place and Duration of study: Department of Gastroenterology AK CMH/Sheikh Khalifa Bin Zayed Al Nahyan Hospital Rawalakot Azad Kashmir. Six months; (27-03-2019 to 26-09-2019)
Materials and Methods: One hundred patients with liver cirrhosis (group I) and 100 non-cirrhotic patients ((group II) had 12 lead ECG. QT interval was calculated. And the patients were evaluated for presence of prolonged QT interval. Statistical significant determined by chi-square test (p< 0.05 was taken as significant).
Results: The mean QTc duration in Group I was 0.536 + 0.012 seconds and group II was 0.431 + 0.015 seconds (p < 0.05). Prolonged QTc interval was present among 36(36%) patients in Group I and in 6 (6%) patients in Group II. (p < 0.05).
Conclusion: Our study findings revealed that cirrhotic patients have more chances of developing the QTc abnormalities as compared to the patients without the presence of cirrhotic liver.
2. Schuppan D, Afdhal NH. Liver cirrhosis. The Lancet 2008;371:838-851.
3. Maqsood S, Saleem A, Iqbal A, Aslam JB. Precipatating factors of hepatic encephalopathy: experienced at Pakistan Institute of Medical Sciences Islamabad. J Ayub Med Coll Abottabad 2006;18:57-61.
4. Raja NS, Janjua KA. Epidomology of Hepatitis C virus in Pakistan. J microbial immunol infect 2008;41:4-8.
5. Ghias M, Pervaiz MK. Identification of Epidemiological risk factors far Hepatitis C in Punjab, Pakistan. J Ayub Med Coll Abbottabad 2009;21:156-161.
6. Iredale JP, Guha IN. The evolution of cirrhosis. In: Textbook of hepatology from basic science to clinical practice. 3rd edition. Edited by Rodés J, Benhamou J-P, Blei A, Reichen J, Rizzetto M. Oxford, Blackwell Publishing 2007;583-589.
7. Wynn T. Cellular and molecular mechanisms of fibrosis. J Pathol 2008;214:199-210.
8. Guha NI, Iredale JP. Clinical and diagnostic aspects of cirrhosis. In: Textbook of hepatology from basic science to clinical practice. 3rd edition. Edited by: Rodés J, Benhamou J-P, Blei A, Reichen J, Rizzetto M. Oxford, Blackwell Publishing 2007;604-622.
9. de Franchis R, Dell’Era A. Non-invasive diagnosis of cirrhosis and the natural history of its complications. Best Pract Res Clin Gastroenterol 2007;21:3-18.
10. Zamirian M, Aslani A. Letter to the editor. AJG 2008;103:241.
11. Zamirian M, Aslani A, Shahrzad SH. Left atrial volume: a novel predictor of hepatopulmonary syndrome. AJG 2007;102:1392-1396.
12. Zamirian M, Aslani A, Sharifkazemi M. Prediction of intrapulmonary right to left shunt with left atrial size in patients with liver cirrhosis. EUJE 2008;9:1-4.
13. Bernardi M, Calandra S, Colantoni A, Trevisani F, Raimondo ML, Sica G. Q-T interval prolongation in cirrhosis: Prevalence, relationship with severity, and etiology of the disease and possible pathogenetic factors. Hepatology 1998;27:28-34.
14. Lee SS, Al Hamoudi W. Cirrhotic cardiomyopathy. Hepatology 2006;5:132-139.
15. Hansen S, Møller S, Bendtsen F, Jensen G, Henriksen JH. Diurnal variation and dispersion in QT interval in cirrhosis: relation to haemodynamic changes. J Hepatol 2007;47:373-380.
16. Moller S, Henriksen JH. Cardiopulmonary complications in chronic liver disease.World J Gastroenterol 2006;12:526-538.
17. Kim MY, Baik SK. Cirrhotic Cardiomyopathy Korean J Hepatol 2007;13;20-26
18. Zubari BF, Ahmad S. Faisal N, Afsar N. Memon AR. Comparison of heart rate and QTc duration in patients of cirrhosis of liver with non cirrhotic control. JCPSP 2007;17:69-71.
19. Ahmed U, Shaukat A, Shaukat A, Aamir H. Prolongation of QTc Duration and Increased Heart Rate in Patients with Cirrhosis of Liver. A.P.M.C 2012;6:28-31.
20. Tarique S, Sarwar S. Correlation of prolonged QT interval and severity of Cirrhosis of liver. ANNALS 2011;17:103-117.
21. Trevisani F, Di Micoli A, Zambruni A, Biselli M, Santi V, Erroi V. QT interval prolongation by acute gastrointestinal bleeding in patients with cirrhosis. Liver Int 2012;32:1510-1515.
22. Arikan C, Kilic M, Tumgor G, Levent E, Yuksekkaya HA, Yagci RV. Impact of liver transplantation on rate-corrected QT interval and myocardial function in children with chronic liver disease. Pediatr Transplant 2009;13:300-306.
23. Zamirian M, Tavassoli M, Aghasadeghi K. Corrected QT Interval and QT Dispersion in Cirrhotic Patients before and After Liver Transplantation. Arch Iran Med 2012;15:375-377.
Copyright (c) 2020 M Mujtaba Ali, M Abdul Quddus, Arslan Shahzad, M Fareed Khan, Sheikh Taqqi Anwar, Kapeel Raja
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
All research articles published in the Journal of Rawalpindi Medical College (JRMC) are fully open access: immediately freely available to read, download, and share. Copyrights of all articles published in JRMC are retained by the authors. First publication rights are granted to JRMC. The journal/publisher is not responsible for subsequent uses of the work.
All articles are published under the Creative Commons Attribution (CC BY-SA 4.0) license.