Effect of Red Bull on Histology of Renal Mesangium
Objective: To determine the consequences of energy drink (Red bull) on renal mesangium of albino rats.
Materials and Methods: This study was carried out at the Anatomy Department of King Edward Medical University, Lahore, from August 2018 to December 2019. It was an experimental randomized controlled trial. Total 90 adult albino male rats, 8-12 weeks old, weighing 130 to 160 grams were taken. Healthy animals were included. Rats were divided into three groups Group A and B experimental groups received 1.5ml/kg and 2.2ml/kg body weight of red bull energy drink, respectively. Group C received 1ml/kg body weight of distilled water.
Results: The mean initial and final weight of animals was around 150g and 170g, respectively. The mean paired kidney weight and relative tissue weight index for all three groups were found insignificant. Microscopic examination showed mesangial hypercellularity and vascular congestion in renal cortex of groups A and B, none in group C. These were significant among two experimental groups with a p-value less than 0.001.
Conclusion: It was found that the use of energy drinks induces histopathological changes in the renal mesangium.
2. Scuri S, Petrelli F, Tesauro M, Carrozzo F, Kracmarova L, Grappasonni I. Energy drink consumption: a survey in high school students and associated psychological effects. Journal of preventive medicine and hygiene. 2018 Mar;59(1):E75. DOI: 10.15167/2421-4248/jpmh2018.59.1.898.
3. Keith A Wesnes, Helen Brooker, Anthony W Watson, Wendy Bal, Edward Okello. Effects of the Red Bull energy drink on cognitive function and mood in healthy young volunteers. J Psychopharmacol 2017 Feb;31(2):211-221. DOI: 10.1177/0269881116681459.
4. Dalia Bashir, Essie Reed-Schrader, Robert P Olympia, Jodi Brady, Ruby Rivera, Theresa Serra, et al. Clinical symptoms and adverse effects associated with energy drink consumption in adolescents. Pediatr Emerg Care.2016 Nov;32(11):751-755. DOI: 10.1097/PEC.0000000000000703.
5. Marianne Picard-Masson, Julie Loslier, Pierre Paquin, Karine Bertrand. Consumption of energy drinks among Quebec college students. Can J Public Health 2017;107(6):e514–e519. DOI: 10.17269/cjph.107.5536.
6. Munteanu C, Rosioru C, Tarba C, Lang C. Long-term consumption of energy drinks induces biochemical and ultrastructural alterations in the heart muscle. Anatolian journal of cardiology. 2018 May;19(5):326.DOI: 10.14744/AnatolJCardiol.2018.90094.
7. D. Kelsey, A. J. Berry, R. A. Swain, S. Lorenz. A Case of Psychosis and Renal Failure Associated with Excessive Energy Drink Consumption. Case Rep Psychiatry. 2019 Jul 24;2019:3954161. DOI: 10.1155/2019/3954161.
8. Francis J, Martin K, Costa B, Christian H, Kaur S, Harray A, et al. Informing Intervention Strategies to Reduce Energy Drink Consumption in Young People: Findings From Qualitative Research. J Nutr Educ Behav. 2017 Oct;49(9):724-733.e1. DOI: 10.1016/j.jneb.2017.06.007.
9. Hobeika L, Barati MT, Caster DJ, McLeish KR, Merchant ML. Characterization of glomerular extracellular matrix by proteomic analysis of laser-captured microdissected glomeruli. Kidney international. 2017 Feb 1;91(2):501-11.DOI: 10.1016/j.kint.2016.09.044
10. Salih NA, Abdul-Sadaand IH, Abdulrahman NR. Histopathological effect of energy drinks (red bull) on brain, liver, kidney, and heart in rabbits. Medical Journal of Babylon. 2018 Jan 1;15(1):16. DOI: 10.4103/mjbl.mjbl_5_18.
11. Khayyat L, Sorour JM, Essawy A, Al Rawi M. Histological, ultrastructural and physiological studies on the effect of different kinds of energy drinks on the liver of Wistar albino rat. J Am Sci. 2012; 8(8):688-97.
12. Mansy W, Alogaiel DM, Hanafi M, Zakaria E. Effects of chronic consumption of energy drinks on liver and kidney of experimental rats. Tropical Journal of Pharmaceutical Research 2017;16 (12):2849-2856. doi.org/10.4314/tjpr.v16i12.8.
13. Sogabe A, Uto H, Kanmura S, Nosaki T. Correlation of serum levels of complement C4adesArg with pathologically estimated severity of glomerular lesions and mesangial hypercellularity scores in patients with IgA nephropathy. Int J Mol Med.2013;32(2):307-14. DOI: 10.3892/ijmm.2013.1390.
14. Mubarak R. Effect of Red Bull energy drink on Rats’ Submandibular salivary glands (Light and Electron microscopic Study). J Am Sci. 2012;8(1);366-9.
15. Tauseef A, Akmal A, Hasan S, Waheed A, Zafar A, Cheema A, Mukhtar Q, Malik A. Effect of energy drink on reaction time, haemodynamic and electrocardiographic parameters. Pak J Physiol. 2017;13(1):7-10.
16. Reis R, Charehsaz M, Sipahi H, Ekici AI, Macit Ç, Akkaya H, Aydın A. Energy drink induced lipid peroxidation and oxidative damage in rat liver and brain when used alone or combined with alcohol. Journal of food science. 2017 Apr;82(4):1037-43. DOI: 10.1111/1750-3841.
17. Schuchowsky E, Schaefer D, Salvador RA, do Nascimento AE, Til D, Senn AP, et al. Effects of energy drinks on biochemical and sperm parameters in Wistar rats. Nutrire. 2017 Dec;42(1):1-7.
18. Ayoub N, El Beshbeishy R. Impact of energy drink on the structure of stomach and pancreas of albino rat, can omega 3 provide protection. Plos one. 2016; 11(2):2.
19. Yoojin K, Hyeonhae C and Jaesook R. The Effects of Caffeine on the Long Bones and Testes in Immature and Young Adult Rats. Toxicol Res.2017 Apr;33(2):157-164. DOI: 10.5487/TR.2017.33.2.157.
20. Fahad I. Al Saikha. Hepatic & Renal Toxicity of Energy Drinks, a Serious Health Risk, Wistar Albino Rats Study. Journal of Pharmaceutical Research International. 2020;32(7): 48-53.
21. Adjene OJ, Emojevme V, Igbigbi SP. Morpholological effects of long term consumption of energy drinks on intracranial visual relay. J Anat Africa .2014;3(1):275-85.
22. A.E. Bawazirand M. G. Almehmadi. Effect of “Red Bull” Energy Drink on Some Neurotransmitters Content and Histological Structure of Cerebral Cortex in Male Albino Rats. Life Science Journal 2017;14(1).
23. Dalia El-sayed El-ghazouly. Histological and Immunohistochemical study on the Effect of the Energy Drink "Red Bull" on the Renal Cortex of Adult Male Albino Rats and the Possible Protective effect of Nigella Sativa oil. International Journal of Life Sciences. 2017;6(4):142-152.
24. I. S. Akande and O. A. Banjoko. Assessment of Biochemical Effect of “Power Horse” Energy Drink on Hepatic, Renal and Histological Functions in Sprague Dawley Rats.2011; 1(3): 45-56.
Copyright (c) 2021 Ammara Rasheed, Mohtasham Hina, Muhammad Rizwan Bashir Kiani, Raafea Tafweez, Imtiaz Aslam, Arslan Akbar Saeed
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
All research articles published in the Journal of Rawalpindi Medical College (JRMC) are fully open access: immediately freely available to read, download, and share. Copyrights of all articles published in JRMC are retained by the authors. First publication rights are granted to JRMC. The journal/publisher is not responsible for subsequent uses of the work.
All articles are published under the Creative Commons Attribution (CC BY-SA 4.0) license.