COVID-19 leading to amputation in an eleven-year-old: A Case Report
AbstractOVID-19 is an ongoing pandemic and all age groups are affected by SARS-CoV-2. Past studies showed that children are less affected by it and symptoms are quite variable as compared to adults. Multisystem Inflammatory Syndrome in Children (MIS-C) and Kawasaki-like illness are observed along with COVID-19 associated multi-organ failure, acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS), and coagulopathy in the paediatric age group. Thrombotic complications in patients with COVID-19 have variable presentation including venous thromboembolism and ischemic complications related to thrombosis of extremity, cerebral, coronary, and distal arteries. Early recognition of acute limb ischemia and treatment can help to reduce mortality and maximize the chance of limb salvage. Here, we report a case of 11 years old child who developed gangrene of bilateral lower limbs after mild COVID-19 illness that ended in below-knee amputation.
2. Novara E, Molinaro E, Benedetti I, Bonometti R, Lauritano EC, Boverio R. Severe acute dried gangrene in COVID-19 infection: a case report. Eur Rev Med Pharmacol Sci. 2020;24(10):5769-5771. doi:10.26355/eurrev_202005_21369
3. Henry BM, Benoit SW, de Oliveira MHS, et al. Laboratory abnormalities in children with mild and severe coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19): A pooled analysis and review. Clin Biochem. 2020;81:1-8. doi:10.1016/j.clinbiochem.2020.05.012
4. Oualha M, Bendavid M, Berteloot L, et al. Severe and fatal forms of COVID-19 in children. Arch Pédiatrie. 2020;27(5):235-238. doi:https://doi.org/10.1016/j.arcped.2020.05.010
5. Lee P-I, Hu Y-L, Chen P-Y, Huang Y-C, Hsueh P-R. Are children less susceptible to COVID-19? J Microbiol Immunol Infect. 2020;53(3):371-372. doi:10.1016/j.jmii.2020.02.011
6. Coronavirus Disease 2019 in Children - United States, February 12-April 2, 2020. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2020;69(14):422-426. doi:10.15585/mmwr.mm6914e4
7. Kache S, Chisti MJ, Gumbo F, et al. COVID-19 PICU guidelines: for high- and limited-resource settings. Pediatr Res. 2020;88(5):705-716. doi:10.1038/s41390-020-1053-9
8. Galanis N, Stavraka C, Agathangelidis F, Petsatodis E, Giankoulof C, Givissis P. Coagulopathy in COVID-19 infection: a case of acute upper limb ischemia. J Surg case reports. 2020;2020(6):rjaa204. doi:10.1093/jscr/rjaa204
9. Karimi M, Bozorgi H, Zarei T, et al. Antithrombotic prophylaxis in children and adolescents’ patients with SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) infection: A practical guidance for clinicians. Acta Biomed. 2020;91(4):e2020170. doi:10.23750/abm.v91i4.10720
10. Ahmed Muhi F, Mohammad AA, Al-Khalidi HA, Lazim QJ, Hussein FI, Alshewered AS. Case Report: COVID-19 in a Female Patient Who Presented with Acute Lower Limb Ischemia.(2020). doi:https://doi.org/10.12688/f1000research.25319.1
Copyright (c) 2021 Anam Zafar, Nahdia Zaman, Sonia Fazal
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
All research articles published in the Journal of Rawalpindi Medical College (JRMC) are fully open access: immediately freely available to read, download, and share. Copyrights of all articles published in JRMC are retained by the authors. First publication rights are granted to JRMC. The journal/publisher is not responsible for subsequent uses of the work.
All articles are published under the Creative Commons Attribution (CC BY-SA 4.0) license.