Diagnostic Accuracy of Contrast-Enhanced MRI for Detecting the Malignant Breast Lesions
Objectives: To determine the accuracy of contrast-enhanced MRI in the diagnosis and detection of breast lesions and their malignant potential by taking the gold standard of histopathology.
Materials and Methods: This study was conducted at the Department of Diagnostic Radiology, Pakistan Institute of Medical Sciences (P.I.M.S.) Islamabad. It was undertaken in collaboration with the Department of General Surgery P.I.M.S, Department of Pathology P.I.M.S Islamabad, and HIT Hospital Taxila. The study design was a cross-sectional (Validation) study and the duration of the study was 6 months (from 01-Oct-2016 to 31-Mar-2017).
Results: Sample size was calculated by using sensitivity and specificity calculator taking sensitivity 94%1 with a precision of 6%, specificity 85%1 with a precision of 10%, prevalence is 45.9%2, and confidence interval of 95% it comes out to be 92%. Sample collection was made by the technique of Consecutive non-probability sampling.
Conclusion: Breast MRI imaging is a modern evolving modality. A gradual increase in diagnostic specificity is achieved with improved software and techniques. More such studies would help develop confidence in this advanced imaging modality for improving patient management and avoiding unnecessary biopsies.
2. Anderson R, Li H, Ji Y, Liu P, Giger ML. Evaluating deep learning techniques for dynamic contrast-enhanced MRI in the diagnosis of breast cancer. InMedical Imaging 2019: Computer-Aided Diagnosis 2019 Mar 13 (Vol. 10950, p. 1095006). International Society for Optics and Photonics.
3. Agarwal G, Pradeep PV, Aggarwal V, Yip CH, Cheung PS. Spectrum of breast cancer in Asian women. World journal of surgery. 2007 May 1; 31(5):1031-40.
4. Taghavi A, Fazeli Z, Vahedi M, Baghestani AR, Pourhoseingholi A, Barzegar F, Pourhoseingholi MA. Increased trend of breast cancer mortality in Iran. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev. 2012 Jan 1; 13(1):367-70.
5. Baloch AH, Shuja J, Daud S, Ahmed M, Ahmad A, Tareen M, Khan F, Kakar MA, Baloch DM, Kakar N, Naseeb HK. Various aspects, patterns and risk factors in breast cancer patients of Balochistan. Asian Pacific Journal of Cancer Prevention. 2012; 13(8):4013-6.
6. Arora J, Kaushal K. Imaging spectrum on contrast enhanced MRI in the evaluation of pathological nipple discharge. European Congress of Radiology 2019.
7. Cuzick J, DeCensi A, Arun B, Brown PH, Castiglione M, Dunn B, Forbes JF, Glaus A, Howell A, von Minckwitz G, Vogel V. Preventive therapy for breast cancer: a consensus statement. The lancet oncology. 2011 May 1; 12(5):496-503.
8. Hsieh CC, Trichopoulos D, Katsouyanni K, Yuasa S. Age at menarche, age at menopause, height and obesity as risk factors for breast cancer: associations and interactions in an international case‐control study. International journal of cancer. 1990 Nov 15; 46(5):796-800.
9. Kampert JB, Whittemore AS, Paffenbarger Jr RS. Combined effect of childbearing, menstrual events, and body size on age-specific breast cancer risk. American journal of epidemiology. 1988 Nov 1; 128(5):962-79.
10. Huang Z, Hankinson SE, Colditz GA, Stampfer MJ, Hunter DJ, Manson JE, Hennekens CH, Rosner B, Speizer FE, Willett WC. Dual effects of weight and weight gain on breast cancer risk. Jama. 1997 Nov 5; 278(17):1407-11.
11. La Vecchia C, Negri E, Bruzzi P, Dardanoni G, Decarli A, Franceschi S, Palli D, Talamini R. The role of age at menarche and at menopause on breast cancer risk: combined evidence from four case-control studies. Annals of oncology. 1992 Sep 1; 3(8):625-9.
12. Rao DN, Ganesh B, Desai PB. Role of reproductive factors in breast cancer in a low-risk area: a case–control study. British journal of cancer. 1994 Jul; 70(1):129-32.
13. Romieu I, Hernandez-Avila M, Lazcano E, Lopez L, Romero-Jaime R. Breast cancer and lactation history in Mexican women. American journal of epidemiology. 1996 Mar 15;143(6):543-52.
14. Gilani GM, Kamal S, Gilani SA. Risk factors for breast cancer for women in Punjab, Pakistan: Results from a case-control study. Pakistan Journal of Statistics and Operation Research. 2006 Jan 1:17-26.
15. Talamini R, Franceschi S, La Vecchia C, Negri E, Borsa L, Montella M, Falcini F, Conti E, Rossi C. The role of reproductive and menstrual factors in cancer of the breast before and after menopause. European Journal of Cancer. 1996 Feb 1; 32(2):303-10.
16. Tung HT, Tsukuma H, Tanaka H, Kinoshita N, Koyama Y, Ajiki W, Oshima A, Koyama H. Risk factors for breast cancer in Japan, with special attention to anthropometric measurements and reproductive history. Japanese journal of clinical oncology. 1999 Mar 1; 29(3):137-46.
17. El Khouli RH, Macura KJ, Kamel IR, Jacobs MA, Bluemke DA. 3 Tesla dynamic contrast enhanced magnetic resonance imaging of the breast: pharmacokinetic parameters versus conventional kinetic curve analysis. AJR. American journal of roentgenology. 2011 Dec; 197(6):1498.
18. Lehman CD, Blume JD, Weatherall P, Thickman D, Hylton N, Warner E, Pisano E, Schnitt SJ, Gatsonis C, Schnall M, International Breast MRI Consortium Working Group. Screening women at high risk for breast cancer with mammography and magnetic resonance imaging. Cancer. 2005 May 1; 103(9):1898-905.
19. Bedrosian I, Mick R, Orel SG, Schnall M, Reynolds C, Spitz FR, Callans LS, Buzby GP, Rosato EF, Fraker DL, Czerniecki BJ. Changes in the surgical management of patients with breast carcinoma based on preoperative magnetic resonance imaging. Cancer: Interdisciplinary International Journal of the American Cancer Society. 2003 Aug 1; 98(3):468-73.
20. Siegmann KC, Müller-Schimpfle M, Schick F, Remy CT, Fersis N, Ruck P, Gorriz C, Claussen CD. MR Imaging—Detected Breast Lesions: Histopathologic Correlation of Lesion Characteristics and Signal Intensity Data. American Journal of Roentgenology. 2002 Jun; 178(6):1403-9.
21. Khatri VP, Stuppino JJ, Espinosa MH, Pollack MS. Improved accuracy in differentiating malignant from benign mammographic abnormalities: a simple, improved magnetic resonance imaging method. Cancer: Interdisciplinary International Journal of the American Cancer Society. 2001 Aug 1; 92(3):471-8.
22. Nunes LW, Schnall MD, Orel SG. Update of breast MR imaging architectural interpretation model. Radiology. 2001 May;219(2):484-94.
23. Schnall MD, Blume J, Bluemke DA, DeAngelis GA, DeBruhl N, Harms S, Heywang-Kobrunner SH, Hylton N, Kuhl CK, Pisano ED, Causer P. Diagnostic architectural and dynamic features at breast MR imaging: multicenter study. Radiology. 2006 Jan; 238(1):42-53.
Copyright (c) 2021 Naila Parveen, Rabia Waseem Butt, Manal Niazi, Kulsoom Iqbal, Sidra Manzoor, Aneela Abid
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
All research articles published in the Journal of Rawalpindi Medical College (JRMC) are fully open access: immediately freely available to read, download, and share. Copyrights of all articles published in JRMC are retained by the authors. First publication rights are granted to JRMC. The journal/publisher is not responsible for subsequent uses of the work.
All articles are published under the Creative Commons Attribution (CC BY-SA 4.0) license.