A prospective comparative study of Proximal Femoral Nailing Anti-rotation (PFNA) and Sliding Hip Screw (SHS) for Per-trochanteric Femur Fracture
Objectives: To determine the functional outcome, operative risks, rate of union, and complication in Per-trochanteric Fracture fixed with PFNA and SHS.
Material and Methods: The present study has been conducted at Shalamar Medical and Dental College Lahore from January 2018 to December 2018.40 patients with per-trochanteric femur fracture treated with proximal femoral nailing anti-rotation (PFNA) and Sliding hip screw (SHS) were enrolled in our study.20 patients were treated by PFNA and 20 patients by SHS. Timing of surgery, mobilization status, hospital stay, infection, weight-bearing status, radiological union, complications both technical and implant-related, amount of blood loss(ml), C ARM Exposures, and Harris hip score at the end of 6 months were recorded.
Results: Union was better in the PFNA group (95%) as compared to the SHS group (85%). Complication rate, hospital stay, surgery timing, and requirement of revision surgery were more in the SHS group. The functional outcome was better in the PFNA group as compared to the SHS group.
Conclusion: From our study, we concluded that PFNA is a better alternative than SHS in terms of higher union rates, low complication rates, and better functional outcomes.
2. Kyavater BS, Gupta S. Comparative study between dynamic hip screw vs Proximal femoral nailing in unstable inter-trochanteric fractures of the Femur in adults. Journal of Evolution of Medical and Dental Sciences. 2015 Jun 22;4(50):8690-3. DOI:10.14260/jemds/2015/1257
3. Zhao C, Liu DY, Guo JJ, Li LP, Zheng YF, Yang HB, Sun JH. Comparison of proximal femoral nail and dynamic hip screw for treating intertrochanteric fractures. Zhongguo gu shang = China journal of orthopaedics and traumatology. 2009 Jul; 22 (7): 535-7.
4. Boldin C, Seibert FJ, Fankhauser F, Peicha G, Grechenig W, Szyszkowitz R. The proximal femoral nail (PFN)-a minimal invasive treatment of unstable proximal femoral fractures: a prospective study of 55 patients with a follow-up of 15 months. Acta Orthopaedica Scandinavica. 2003 Jan 1;74(1):53-8. https://doi.org/10.1080/00016470310013662
5. Kyle RF, Ellis TJ, Templeman DC. Surgical treatment of intertrochanteric hip fractures with associated femoral neck fractures using a sliding hip screw. Journal of orthopaedic trauma. 2005 Jan 1;19(1):1-4.
6. Banan H, Al-Sabti A, Jimulia T, Hart AJ. The treatment of unstable, extracapsular hip fractures with the AO/ASIF proximal femoral nail (PFN)—our first 60 cases. Injury. 2002 Jun 1;33(5):401-5. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0020-1383(02)00054-2
7. Baumgaertner MR, Curtin SL, Lindskog DM. Intramedullary versus extramedullary fixation for the treatment of intertrochanteric hip fractures. Clinical Orthopaedics and related research. 1998 Mar(348):87-94.
8. Parker MJ, Handoll HH. Gamma and other cephalocondylic intramedullary nails versus extramedullary implants for extracapsular hip fractures in adults. Cochrane database of systematic reviews. 2010(9).
9. Koval KJ, Zuckerman JD. Hip fractures: I. Overview and evaluation and treatment of femoral-neck fractures. JAAOS-Journal of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. 1994 May 1;2(3):141-9.
10. SF Kumar, VK Bhasme, Akash Hosthota, Mayur Rabhadiya. Functional outcome of proximal femur fracture managed surgically using proximal femoral nail. International Journal of Contemporary Medical Research 2017; 4:22-24.
11. Banaszkiewicz PA. Traumatic arthritis of the hip after dislocation and acetabular fractures: treatment by mold arthroplasty: an end-result study using a new method of result evaluation. InClassic Papers in Orthopaedics 2014 (pp. 13-17). Springer, London.
12. Gallagher JC, Melton LJ, Riggs BL, Bergstrath E. Epidemiology of fractures of the proximal femur in Rochester, Minnesota. Clinical orthopaedics and related research. 1980(150):163-71.
13. Aune AK, Ekeland A, Ødegaard B, Grøgaard B, Alho A. Gamma nail vs compression screw for trochanteric femoral fractures: 15 reoperations in a prospective, randomized study of 378 patients. Acta Orthopaedica Scandinavica. 1994 Jan 1;65(2):127-30.
14. Mahavir Jangir, Sudhir Kumar, Sitaram Jindal. A Prospective comparative study of outcome of management of unstable intertrochanteric fracture of femur with dynamic hip screw and proximal femoral nail anti rotation. International Journal of Contemporary Medical Research 2018; 5:4-7.
15. Kumar R, Singh RN, Singh BN. Comparative prospective study of proximal femoral nail and dynamic hip screw in treatment of intertrochanteric fracture femur. Journal of clinical orthopaedics and trauma. 2012 Jun 1;3(1):28-36. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcot.2011.12.001
16. Jose A, D’Almeida V, Acharya R, Rai R. A comparative study of proximal femoral nailing versus dynamic hip screw device in the surgical management of intertrochanteric fractures. International Journal of Orthopaedics Sciences. 2017;3(3):743-5 http://dx.doi.org/10.22271/ortho.2017.v3.i3k.111 .
17. Mundla MK, Shaik MR, Buchupalli SR, Chandranna B. A prospective comparative study between proximal femoral nail and dynamic hip screw treatment in trochanteric fractures of femur. Int J Res Orthop. 2018 Jan;4:58-64.
18. BOYD HB, GRIFFIN LL. Classification and treatment of trochanteric fractures. Archives of Surgery. 1949 Jun 1;58(6):853-66 doi:10.1001/archsurg.1949.01240030864012 .
19. Shivanna UM, Rudrappa GH. A comparative study of functional outcome between dynamic hip screw and proximal femoral nail in surgical management of per-trochanteric fractures. Journal of Evolution of Medical and Dental Sciences. 2015 May 28;4(43):7489-99.
20. Goel K, Taneja DK. Proximal femoral nail v/s Dynamic hip screw in treatment of intertrochanteric fracture femur. Indian Journal of Orthopaedics. 2018 Jul;4(3):249-55. DOI:10.18231/2395-1362.2018.0050
21. Saudan M, Lübbeke A, Sadowski C, Riand N, Stern R, Hoffmeyer P. Pertrochanteric fractures: is there an advantage to an intramedullary nail?: a randomized, prospective study of 206 patients comparing the dynamic hip screw and proximal femoral nail. Journal of orthopaedic trauma. 2002 Jul 1;16(6):386-93.
22. Pajarinen J, Lindahl J, Michelsson O, Savolainen V, Hirvensalo E. Pertrochanteric femoral fractures treated with a dynamic hip screw or a proximal femoral nail: a randomised study comparing post-operative rehabilitation. The Journal of bone and joint surgery. British volume. 2005 Jan;87(1):76-81. https://doi.org/10.1302/0301-620X.87B1.15249
23. Pan HX, Xiao DM, Lin BW. Dynamic hip screw (DHS) and proximal femur nail (PFN) in the treatment of intertrochanteric femur fracture in elderly patients.Chin J Orthop.2004;7:785-9.
Copyright (c) 2020 Amer Khan, Muhammad Ali, Ayesha Tahir, Muhammad Saleem, Usman Sarwar, Imran Manzoor
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
All research articles published in the Journal of Rawalpindi Medical College (JRMC) are fully open access: immediately freely available to read, download, and share. Copyrights of all articles published in JRMC are retained by the authors. First publication rights are granted to JRMC. The journal/publisher is not responsible for subsequent uses of the work.
All articles are published under the Creative Commons Attribution (CC BY-SA 4.0) license.