Assessment of Some Habits and Practices related to Complete Denture Wearing – A Survey of Subjects Reporting to Watim Dental Hospital
Objective: To assess some habits and practices related to denture wearing among subjects reporting to Watim Teaching Dental Hospital, Rawalpindi.
Materials and Methods: This is a cross-sectional study conducted at Watim Dental College, Rawalpindi, from December 2018 to August 2019. Using a pre-structured questionnaire, data were collected from 155 subjects having used complete dentures for a minimum of 6-months. The questionnaire consisted of information including the type of dentures, duration and frequency of denture wearing, and denture cleaning habits. Data were analyzed using SPSS version 20.
Results: Out of 155 participants, 80 (51.6%) were male and 75 (48.4%) were females. 89 (57.4%) patients use toothbrushes and soap for denture cleaning. 139 (89.7%) participants didn’t wear dentures while sleeping and soaked them in water. 98 (63.2%) respondents were not using antiseptic oral rinse and were casual in mouth-cleaning.
Conclusion: From this study, it is concluded that 65 (41.9%) subjects were cleaning their dentures once a day. The study also reveals that 65 (41.9%) edentulous participants were not able to clean their oral cavity. Dentists should emphasize the importance of recall visits to evaluate the status of denture hygiene along with mucosal surface examination. Patient motivation to follow hygiene instructions and informing them about the harmful effects of overnight wearing of dentures should be part of delivering the prostheses to them.
2. Namrata M, Ganapathy D. Awareness about denture hygiene: A survey among patients wearing complete dentures and removable partial dentures. Int J Orofac Biol 2017;1:59-65
3. Mushtaq MA, Altaf J, Sheikh MA, Ali M, Khan MWU, et al. Assessment of Knowledge and Practices about Denture Hygiene among Complete Denture Wearers in Lahore City. . J Pak Dent Assoc 2019;28:187-191.
4. Aoun G, Gerges E, Assessment of hygiene habits in acrylic denture wearers: a Cross-sectional study. Mater Sociomed 2017;29(3):216–218.
5. Gautham P, Mallikarjun M, Chakravarthy K, Kumar KR, Budege V, Bodankar N. Assessment of denture hygiene maintenance among elderly patients in Nizamabad (Telangana) population: A survey. Journal of Dr. NTR University of Health Sciences. 2016 Oct 1;5(4):275.
6. Peracini A, Andrade IM, Paranhos HD, Silva CH, Souza RF. Behaviors and hygiene habits of complete denture wearers. Braz Dent J. 2010;21(3):247-52
7. Lerra S, Khajuria N. A clinical survey of 250 cases on denture hygiene habits and oral tissue conditions of complete denture wearers.IJADC 2017 Sep; 3(4): 252-254
8. Cakan U, Yuzbasioglu E, Kurt H, Kara HB, Turunç R, AkbulutA, et al. Assessment of hygiene habits and attitudes among removable partial denture wearers in a university hospital. Niger J Clin Pract. 2015;18(4):511-5.
9. Arora A, Chawla Arora P, Kaur I, Kaur J. Oral hygiene habits among complete denture wearing patients in Amritsar-a survey IJCDC,2017 Jan 1;7(1).
10. Akram M, Iqbal Q, Naeem S. Denture Hygiene Knowledge and Practices among Complete Denture Wearers Seen at Dental Hospital. Journal of Nepal Dental Association 2019 Jul; 19(2):10-13.
11. Azad AA, Butt MM, Ahmed A, Malik AS. Denture hygiene habits among edentulous patients seen at Armed Forces Institute of Dentistry, Rawalpindi. Pak Oral Dent J. 2015;35:735-7
12. Roshene R, Robin P, Raj JD. A survey of denture hygiene in older patients. Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Research. 2015 Oct 1;7(10):897.
13. Ferruzzi F, Martins JC, Mori AA, Santin GC, Kurihara E, Sabio S. Influence of educational materials on the hygiene and utilization habits of denture wearers. Gen Dent. 2015 Jul 1;63(4):e6-10.
14. Ribeiro DG, Pavarina AC, Eunice, Giampaolo ET, Machado AL, Jorge JH, et al.Effect of oral hygiene education and motivation on removable partial denture wearers. longitudinal study. Gerodontology. June 2009;26(2):150-156.
15. Cooper P, Hegde R, Hegde C. A Questionnaire-Based Survey to Assess the Knowledge and Awareness of Denture Staining in Complete Denture Wearers. Journal of Health and Allied Sciences NU. 2019 Apr;9(02):45-50.
16. Vural Uk koç vural uz, taş n, yildiz e, şener m, uzamiş tekçiçek me, et al. The oral hygiene and denture status of people living in a residental home. cilt.40,ss.19-25, 2016
17. Milward P, Katechia D, Morgan MZ. Knowledge of removable partial denture wearers on denture hygiene. Br Dent J.2013;215(10): E 20
18. Amjad M, Azad AA, Ayub MM, Qureshi MA, Javed MU. Denture Hygiene Habits In Complete Denture Wearers At Armed Forces Institute of Dentistry. PAFMJ. Dec 2010; 60(4): 12-31.
19. Apratim A, Shah SS, Sinha M, Agrawal M, Chhaparia N, Abubakkar A. Denture hygiene habits among elderly patients wearing complete dentures. The journal of contemporary dental practice. 2013 Nov 1;14(6):1161.
20. Takamiya AS, Monteiro DR, Barao VA, Pero AC, Compagnoni MA, Barbosa DB. Complete denture hygiene and nocturnal wearing habits among patients attending the Prosthodontic Department in a Dental University in Brazil. Gerodontology. 2011 Jun;28(2):91-6.
Copyright (c) 2021 Sadia Daaniyal, Zarah Afreen, Ammarah Afreen, Eruj Shuja, Gulmina Saeed Orakzai, Aamna Khalil
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
All research articles published in the Journal of Rawalpindi Medical College (JRMC) are fully open access: immediately freely available to read, download, and share. Copyrights of all articles published in JRMC are retained by the authors. First publication rights are granted to JRMC. The journal/publisher is not responsible for subsequent uses of the work.
All articles are published under the Creative Commons Attribution (CC BY-SA 4.0) license.