Effect of Neodymium: Yttrium-Aluminium-Garnet Laser Posterior capsulotomy on refractive status of the Eye
Objective: To assess the effect of Neodymium: Yttrium-Aluminium (Nd: YAG) laser posterior capsulotomy on the refractive status of the eye.
Study Design: Quasi-experimental.
Setting: Outpatient department of Benazir Bhutto Hospital, Rawalpindi.
Duration: 1st January 2017 to 30th June 2017.
Materials and Methods: A total of 95 eyes of 95 patients were included in this study. The patients were selected based on non - randomized convenient sampling. Among these patients 49 were females and 46 were males. The age range was 43 years to 85 years. These patients were those who had undergone uncomplicated cataract surgery with intraocular lens implantation 6 months or more than 6 months before presentation with posterior capsular opacification. Before Nd: YAG laser posterior capsulotomy, complete anterior and posterior segment examinations of these patients was performed and they were found to have no other associated anterior or posterior segment pathologies. Autorefractometre reading and best-corrected visual acuity were recorded and then after dilating the pupils, the procedure was performed. Post YAG capsulotomy, Autorefractometre readings were recorded again on the same day, at 1 week and the end of 4 weeks. Readings at the end of 4 weeks were considered for result purposes. These readings were converted into spherical equivalents for data analysis.
Results: Data was analyzed through the SPSS version 18. The mean age was 60.14 years with a standard deviation of 9.241. Spherical equivalents were compared before and after YAG capsulotomy. Wilcoxon signed ranks test was applied. P-value (0.70) was found to be statistically insignificant which supported our hypothesis.
Conclusion: Nd: YAG laser capsulotomy does not change the refractive status of the eye.
1. LJ Sharon, LB Thomas, RB Chadwick, et al. Complications of cataract surgery .In: Lens and cataract.11th sec. San Franciso: American Academy of Ophthalmology 2019; 183.
2. Kanski JJ, Bowling B. Lens. Clinical ophthalmology In: a systematic approach.9th ed. Edinburgh: Elsevier Saunders; 2020.p331.
3. G, Chowdary NL. Sirisha Visual outcome of Nd-YAG laser capsulotomy in posterior capsule opacification. J. Evolution Med. Dent. Sci. April 2016; 5(29):1479-1482. DOI:10.14260/jemds/2016/348
4. Shetty NK, Sridhar S. Study of variation in intraocular pressure spike (IOP) following Nd YAG Laser capsulotomy. Journal of clinical and diagnostic research.2016 Dec; 10(12). DOI:10.7860/JCDR/2016/21981.9037.
5. Yotsukura E, Torii H, Saiki M, Negishi K, Tsubota K. Effect of Neodymium: YAG Laser capsulotomy on visual function in patients with posterior capsular opacification and good visual acuity. J Cataract Refract Surg. 2016 March; 42(3):399-404. DOI: 10.1016/j.jcrs.2015.11.042.
6. Singh MD, Sharma N, Jain S. Anterior Segment Nd: YAG Laser Procedures: to Study intraocular pressure spikes and their prevention. Delhi Journal of Ophthalmology. 2015; 26(2):2454–784. DOI:http://dx.doi.org/10.7869/djo.145
7. Verma N, Ahuja AK. Effect of neodymium: yttrium aluminum garnet laser posterior capsulotomy on intraocular pressure. Pan Am J Ophthalmol 2020; 2:6. DOI:10.4103/PAJO-26-19.
8. Akmaz B, Cakir A, Bayat AH, Kardas A. The effect of posterior capsulotomy size on refraction and anterior chamber parameters following Nd-YAG Laser treatment. Medicine Science International medical Journal. 2018; 7(3):571-574. DOI:10.5455/medscience.2017.07.8795
9. Uzel MM, Ozates S, Koc M, Uzel AGT. Decentration and tilt of intraocular lens after posterior capsulotomy. February 2018. Seminars in Ophthalomlogy;33(6):1-6. doi: 10.1080/08820538.2018.1443146.
10. Shirai K, Saika S, Okada Y, Oda S, Ohnishi Y. Histology and immunohistochemistry of fibrous posterior capsule opacification in an infant. Journal of Cataract and Refractive surgery. 2004; 30(2): 523-526. doi: 10.1016/S0886-3350(03)00616-3
11. Wu S, Tong N, Pan L, Jiang X. Retrospective analysis of potential risk factors for posterior capsular opacification after cataract surgery. August 2018. Journal of Ophthalmology. 2018(2):1-7. doi: 10.1155/2018/9089285 .
12. Parajuli A, Joshi P, Subedi P, Paradhan C. Effect of Nd: YAG Laser Posterior capsulotomy on intraocular pressure, Refraction, anterior chamber depth and macular thickness. Clin Ophthalmol 2019; 13:945-952. doi: 10.2147/OPTH.S203677
13. Sune M, Roda V. The influence of size and shape of Nd: YAG capsulotomy on visual acuity and refraction. International Medical Journal. 2017; 4(1) 40-43. DOI: 08 January 2017.
14. Elmagid A, Eldin MT. Refractive changes after YAG laser anterior capsulotomy in capsular phimosis syndrome. Journal of American Science 2014; 10(8): 199-201. ]. (ISSN: 1545-1003). DOI: http://www.jofamericanscience.org.
15. Kim TG, Moon SW. Hyperopic shift caused by capsule contraction syndrome after microincision foldable intraocular Lens implantation: case series. BMC Ophthalmol 19, 116 (2019). DOI: https://doi.org/10.1186/s12886-019-1117-y.
16. Khambhiphant B, Liumsirijarern C, Saehout P. The effect of Nd: YAG laser treatment of posterior capsule opacification on anterior chamber and refraction in pseudophakic eyes. Clin Ophthalmol. 2015; 9: 557-561. DOI: 10.2147/OPTH.S80220.
17. Cevher S, Kocluk Y, Cetinkaya S, Unal F, Cubuk Mehmet. Short-term effect of Nd-YAG laser capsulotomy on refraction, central macular thickness and retinal nerve fiber layer thickness. Rev.Bras.Oftalmol. 2017; 76(4): 186-189. https://doi.org/10.5935/0034-7280.20170037.
18. Sirakayaa E, Agaday A, Kucuk B, Hepokur M. Effect of Nd-YAG laser capsulotomy on refraction and anterior segment parameters in patients with posterior capsular opacification. Erciyes Med J 2019; 41(3): 316-20.
19. Oztas Z, Palamar M, Afrashi F, Yagci A. The effects of Nd:YAG laser capsulotomy on anterior segment parameters in patients with posterior capsular opacification. Clin Exp Optom 2015; 98: 168-171.
20. Monteiro T, Soares A, Leite RD, Franqueira N, Faria-Correia F, Vaz F. Comparative study of induced changes in effective lens position and refraction after Nd: YAG laser capsulotomy according to intraocular lens design. Clinical Ophthalmology 2018; 12: 533-537. DOI: 10.2147/OPTH.S156703. eCollection 2018.
21. Nisar S, Rehman D, Rehman A. Effect of Nd-Laser posterior capsulotomy on the anterior chamber depth. Pak J Physiol 2019; 15(1): 13-15. https://pjp.pps.org.pk/index.php/PJP/article/view/1075
22. Ramachandra S, Kuriakose F. Study of early refractive changes following Nd: YAG capsulotomy for posterior capsule opacification in pseudophakia. Indian journal of clinical and experimental Ophthalmology. 2016; 2(3): 221-226.Online access: 2395-1451
Copyright (c) 2021 Kanwal Zareen Abbasi, Bilal Humayun Mirza, Mibah Munshi; Wajeeha Rasool; Ali Raza
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
All research articles published in the Journal of Rawalpindi Medical College (JRMC) are fully open access: immediately freely available to read, download, and share. Copyrights of all articles published in JRMC are retained by the authors. First publication rights are granted to JRMC. The journal/publisher is not responsible for subsequent uses of the work.
All articles are published under the Creative Commons Attribution (CC BY-SA 4.0) license.