The Effect of COVID-19 Pandemic on Hospital Visits and Admissions in Paediatric Department, Benazir Bhutto Hospital, Rawalpindi
Objectives: To assess the effect of the COVID-19 Pandemic on hospital visits and admissions of non-COVID-19 patients in 2020 compared to 2019.
Material and Methods: This retrospective study was conducted in 2021 at the Department of Pediatrics, Benazir Bhutto Hospital, Rawalpindi comparing the data of non-COVID-19 patients visits and admissions from January to December 2019 with non-COVID-19 patients visits and admissions from January to December 2020. The relevant data was retrieved from the Pediatric Department record on a pre-designed study questionnaire. Data was entered and analyzed in SPSS version-24 for descriptive statistics and analysis.
Results: The total OPD visits in 2019 were 112682 patients compared to 63859 patients in 2020 showing a 43.33% reduction. The total number of patients who visited pediatric emergency were 80274 in 2019 and 41182 in 2020, showing a decline of 48.65%. There were a total of 6151 admissions in the paediatric ward in 2019 compared to 2778 admissions in 2020 recording a decline of 54.84%. The admissions in the Neonatal Unit were 5544 in 2019 and 3528 in 2020 with a reduction of 36.36%. The admissions in PICU in 2019 were 2685 and in 2020 the admissions decline to 2011 which is a 25.1% reduction.
Conclusion: There was a significant decline in both hospital visits and admissions in 2020 compared to those in 2019.
2. Mirek J, Blicharz DK. Coronaviruses in avian species. Review with focus on epidemiology and diagnosis in wild birds. J Vet Res. 2018;62(3):249-255.
3. Lu R, Zhao X, Li J, et al.: Genomic characterisation and epidemiology of 2019 novel coronavirus: implications for virus origins and receptor binding. Lancet. 2020, 395:565-574. 10.1016/S0140-6736(20)30251-8
4. Li Q, Guan X, Wu P, et al. Early transmission dynamics in Wuhan, China, of novel coronavirus-infected pneumonia. N Engl J Med. 2020;382(13): 1199-1207
5. World Health Organization situation report 75 Who.int. 2020 [cited 13 October 2020]. Available from: https://www.who.int/docs/default-source/coronavirus/situation-reports/ 20200404-sitrep-75-covid-19.pdf?sfvrsn=99251b2b_4
6. World Health Organization 2020 ;WHO Director-General's statement on IHR Emergency Committee on Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV) Available from: https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/ interactive-timeline#!
7. Santi L, Golinelli D, Tampieri A et al. Non-COVID-19 patients in times of pandemic: Emergency Department visits, hospitalizations and cause-specific mortality in Northern Italy. PLOS ONE 16(3):e0248995. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal. pone.0248995 March 22, 2021
8. Ramos-Lacuey B, Aguivre MH, Gallego CC et al. ECIEN-2020 study: The effect of COVID-19 on admissions for Non-COVID-19 diseases. World J Pediatr. Feb 2021; 9:1-7
9. Pelletier JH. Rakkar J, Au A K et al. Trends in US Pediatric Hospital Admissions in 2020 Compared With the Decade Before the COVID-19 pandemic. JAMA Netwrkopen. 2021; 4(2):e2037227
10. Brisca G Vagelli G Tagliarini G et al. The impact of COVID-19 lockdown on children with medical complexity in pediatric emergency department. M J Emerg Med. Apr 2021;42:225-227
11. Valitutty F, Zenzeri L, Mauro A et al. Effect of Population Lockdown on Emergency Room Demands in Era of COVID-19. Front Pediatr. 2020; 8:521
12. Peeters D, Kruizinga MD, van Veen M et al. The impact of lockdown on pediatric ED visits and hospital admissions during COVID-19 pandemic: A multi center analysis and review of literature. Eur JM Pediatr. Mar 2021:1-9
13. Doffer C, wetzke M, Scharff AZ et al. COVID-19 related reduction in pediatric emergency healthcare utilization-a concerning trend. BMC Pediatr. Sep 2020;20:427
14. Nourazari S, Sanchez LD. Decreased hospital admissions through emergency departments during COVID-19 Pandemic. Am J Emerg Med. Apr 2021;42:203-210
15. Zhang H, Guo Li-W, Gao Yu-Y et al. Impact of the COVID-19 pandemic in Pediatric Clinical Practice in Wenzhou, China : A Retrospective Study. Fron. Pediatr.Nov:2020 https://doi.org/10-3389//ped.202 0.585629
16. Matera L, Neena R, Rizzo V et al. SARS-Cov-2 Pandemic Impact on Pediatric Emergency Rooms: A Multicenter Study. Int.J.Environ.Res. Public Health Nov2020;17(23):8753
17. Chanchlani N, Buchanan F, Gill PG. Addressing the indirect effects of COVID-19 on the health of children and young peoples. CMAJ August 2020;192(32):E921-E927
18. Angulvant F, Quldali N, Yong DD et al. Covid-19 pandemic : Impact caused by school closure and national lockdown on pediatric visits and admissions for viral and non-viral infections, a time series analysis. Clin Infect Dis Jun 2020;ciaa710
Copyright (c) 2021 Rai Muhammad Asghar, Rai Rijjal Ashraf, Khalid Saheel, Abid Hussain
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
All research articles published in the Journal of Rawalpindi Medical College (JRMC) are fully open access: immediately freely available to read, download, and share. Copyrights of all articles published in JRMC are retained by the authors. First publication rights are granted to JRMC. The journal/publisher is not responsible for subsequent uses of the work.
All articles are published under the Creative Commons Attribution (CC BY-SA 4.0) license.