Emerging Risk Factors for Impaired Lung Function in Chemical Industry Workers of Faisalabad
Objective: To determine the impact, obesity and age on the lung functions determined by PEFR of healthy workers of chemical industries.
Methodology: This was a cross sectional study performed at private medical college of Faisalabad. Three days medical camp was arranged during 2nd to 4th September 2020 after taking approval from institutional ethical committee. All relevant information including age, residence and history about chemical exposure were recorded in a structured proforma. Obesity was determined on basis of BMI grading. BMI was calculated from estimated Height and weight PEFR of each participant was determined using Wright’s Peak flow meter. Data was analyzed by SPSS21.
Results: Mean± SD age, height and weight of the studied population was 38.85 ± 12.1, 170.07 ±12.0 and 78.12 ±12.7. lowest PEFR value was found in subjects with age range 61 to 70 years as compred to youger subjects . The mean PEFR value were significantly different with respect to various age catagoeies with p value= 0.000 Highest mean PEFR values were found in taller subjects having height ≥ 180 cm and lowest values were found in subjects with height 150-159 cm, the difference in means was statisticaly significant with p value= 0.05.
Morbid obese subjects showing comparatively lower PEFR values in morbid obese with significant p value =0.002.
. PEFR was found to be negatively associated with age ( p- value= 0.000*) and BMI( p value =0.001*). Our results also showed weak positive association of PEFR with height, however this relation was not found to be statistically significant (p value= 0.081).
Conclusion: Peak expiratory flow rate is negatively associated with increasing BMI and age, reflecting that elderly and obese subjects are more prone to have affected lung function due to exposure to chemicals
2. Kurt OK, Zhang J, Pinkerton KE. Pulmonary health effects of air pollution. Curr Opin Pulm Med. 2016; 22(2):138-43. doi: 10.1097/MCP.0000000000000248
3. Kera T, Kawai H, Hirano H, Kojima M, Watanabe Y, Motokawa K, et al . Definition of Respiratory Sarcopenia with Peak Expiratory Flow Rate. J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2019; 20 (8):1021–1025. doi:10.1016/j.jamda.2018.12.013.
4. Ijaz A, Bashir I, Ikhlaq A, Ijaz F, Aftab RK, Zia R. Correlation Between Peak Expiratory Flow Rate, Markers of Adiposity, and Anthropometric Measures in Medical Students in Pakistan. Cureus. 2020; 12(12): e12408. doi: 10.7759/cureus.12408.
5. Global Initiative for Chronic Obstructive Lung Disease (GOLD). Global strategy for the diagnosis, management, and Prevention of chronic obstructive lungdiseases(GOLD).2018report.https://goldcopd.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/GOLD-2018-v6.0-FINAL-revised-20-Nov_WMS.pdf 9 (cited on dec2020)
6. Weir CB, Jan A. BMI Classification Percentile and Cut Off Points. 2021. In: StatPearls. Treasure Island (FL): StatPearls Publishing; 2021; PMID: 31082114. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK541070/
7. Bergstra AD, Brunekreef B, Burdorf A. The effect of industry-related air pollution on lung function and respiratory symptoms in school children. Environ Health. 2018;17(1):30. doi: 10.1186/s12940-018-0373-2.
8. Dąbrowiecki P, Adamkiewicz Ł, Mucha D, Czechowski PO, Soliński M, Chciałowski A, et al. Impact of Air Pollution on Lung Function among Preadolescent Children in Two Cities in Poland. J Clin Med. 2021;10(11):2375. doi: 10.3390/jcm10112375.
9. Sadiq S, Rizvi NA, Soleja FK, Abbasi M. Factors affecting spirometry reference range in growing children. Pak J Med Sci. 2019;35(6):1587-1591. doi: 10.12669/pjms.35.6.1212.
10. Polatlý M, Erdinç M, Erdinç E. The early effect of smoking on spirometry and transfer factor. Turkish Respiratory Journal. 2000;1:31-4.
11. Ridwan ES, Wiratama BS, Lin MY, Hou WH, Liu MF, Chen CM, et al. Peak expiratory flow rate and sarcopenia risk in older Indonesian people: A nationwide survey. PLoS One. 2021;16(2):e0246179. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0246179.
12. Trevisan C, Rizzuto D, Maggi S, Sergi G, Welmer AK, Vetrano DL. Cross-Sectional and Longitudinal Associations between Peak Expiratory Flow and Frailty in Older Adults. J Clin Med. 2019;8(11):1901. doi: 10.3390/jcm8111901.
13. Shin HI, Kim DK, Seo KM, Kang SH, Lee SY, Son S. Relation Between Respiratory Muscle Strength and Skeletal Muscle Mass and Hand Grip Strength in the Healthy Elderly. Ann Rehabil Med. 2017;41(4):686-692. doi: 10.5535/arm.2017.41.4.686.
14. Atta K, Zia S, Jabeen F. Impact of Anthropometric Parameters on Peak Expiratory Flow Rate. J Aziz Fatm Med Den College. 2019;1(2):63-6.
15. Padaki SK, Amrut D, Kokiwar P. Peak expiratory flow rate in asymptomatic male workers exposed to chemical fumes, in various industries of Hyderabad. Int J Med Res Health Sci. 2014;3(4):870-5. Doi: 10.5958/2319-5886.2014.00017.4
16. Jaganathan R. Association of Peak Expiratory Flow Rate with Age and Height Among Malaysian Adults. Asian Journal of Medicine and Health Sciences Vol. 2020;3(1):62.
17. Firdous J, Nabila N , Haziqah N , Nisa NK , Nurhannah , jaganathan R. Association of peak expiratory flow rate with age and height among malaysian adults. asian journal of medicine and health sciences vol. 2020;3(1):61-68
18. Patil SR, Mehta A. Comparison of Peak Expiratory Flow Rate in Obese and Non-Obese Women. Int J Health Sci Res. 2019; 9(9):39-45.
19. Gundogdu Z, Eryilmaz N. Correlation between peak flow and body mass index in obese and non-obese children in Kocaeli, Turkey. Prim Care Respir J 2011;20(4): 403-406
Copyright (c) 2022 Shireen Jawed, Benash Altaf, Anam Rehman, Noor-i-Kiran Naeem
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
All research articles published in the Journal of Rawalpindi Medical College (JRMC) are fully open access: immediately freely available to read, download, and share. Copyrights of all articles published in JRMC are retained by the authors. First publication rights are granted to JRMC. The journal/publisher is not responsible for subsequent uses of the work.
All articles are published under the Creative Commons Attribution (CC BY-SA 4.0) license.