Conventional Cold steel and Modern technique BiZact LigaSure for tonsillectomy: A comparative analysis
One of the bulk number of operations carried out at otorhinolaryngology department across globe is Tonsillectomy. With the advent of refined surgical tools along with surgical approaches, the conventional methods are now taken over by these new interventions. The study aims to explore the use and advantages of BiZact LigaSure tonsillectomy as compared to the old conventional method.
Material & Methods:
A comparative study was conducted using non-probability purposive sampling technique at Aziz Fatimah Hospital, Faisalabad. 100 participants were divided in two groups. Group A (50 patients) underwent BiZact LigaSure tonsillectomy and Group B (50 patients) with conventional cold steel method. Per-operative variables such as Blood loss and Operative time and Post-operative variable such as Pain was assessed. The data was analyzed in SPSS 20 using independent t- test.
The mean age in group A and B was 12, 12 respectively. The blood loss calculated in Group A patients undergoing BiZact LigaSure tonsillectomy was 0.390.15 ml and in Group B 15.92.65 ml. The mean operation time in group A and B was calculated as 4.260.66 and 32.385.56. Both of these variables were recorded as highly significant as the P value = 0.000. Pain was assessed using the VAS pain scale. Post-operative pain variable was also recorded as highly significant variable.
The study concludes that BiZact ligaSure tonsillectomy is more effective and safe procedure than the conventional cold steel method. This new intervention significantly reduces the blood loss during surgeries, operative time and post-operative pain.
2. Verma, R., Verma, R. R., & Verma, R. R. (2017). Tonsillectomy-Comparative Study of Various Techniques and Changing Trend. Indian journal of otolaryngology and head and neck surgery: official publication of the Association of Otolaryngologists of India, 69(4), 549–558. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12070-017-1190-6
3. Besser G, Grasl S, Meyer EL, Schnoell J, Bartosik TJ, Brkic FF, Heiduschka G. A novel electrosurgical divider: Performance in a self-controlled tonsillectomy study. Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngology. 2021. doi:10.1007/s00405-021-07008-9. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 34338876.
4. Mofatteh, M. R., Salehi, F., Hosseini, M., Hassanzadeh-Taheri, M., Meghdadi, S., & Hassanzadeh-Taheri, M. (2019). Postoperative Outcomes in Cold Dissection Versus Bipolar Electrocautery Tonsillectomy: A Randomized Double-Blind Controlled Study. Indian journal of otolaryngology and head and neck surgery: official publication of the Association of Otolaryngologists of India, 71(Suppl 1), 182–187. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12070-017-1204-4
5. BiZact™ Tonsillectomy Device [instructions for use]. Boulder, CO: Medtronic; 2017. [Internet, Accessed on September 22, 2021]
6. Cullen KA, Hall MJ, Golosinskiy A. Ambulatory surgery in the United States. Natl Health Stat Report. 2008. 28;(11):1-25. PMID: 19294964.
7. Krishna P, LaPage MJ, Hughes LF, Lin SY. Current practice patterns in tonsillectomy and perioperative care. International Journal of Pediatric Otorhinolaryngology. 2004 Jun;68(6):779-84. DOI: 10.1016/j.ijporl.2004.01.010. PMID: 15126019.
8. Çelikoyar, M. M. (2020). Tonsillectomy with BiZact: Impressions from four cases. Praxis of Otorhinolaryngology, 8(1), 51–55. https://doi.org/10.5606/kbbu.2020.52714
9. Niaz, A., Saeed, M., & Hyder, H. (2020). Comparison of Bipolar Diathermy Tonsillectomy Versus Cold Steel Dissection Tonsillectomy. Annals of Punjab Medical College, 14(2), 102-105. https://doi.org/10.29054/apmc/2020.802
10. Huang, L., Stepan, L., Woods, C. M., Huynh, J., & Ooi, E. H. (2018). Surgery and Medicine. 3. https://doi.org/10.29011/2575-9760.C1.006
11. Krishnan G, Stepan L, Du C, Padhye V, Bassiouni A, Dharmawardana N, Ooi EH, Krishnan S. Tonsillectomy using the BiZact: A pilot study in 186 children and adults. Clinical Otolaryngology. 2019. 44(3):392-396. DOI: 10.1111/coa.13273. Epub 2019 Feb 4. PMID: 30576062.
12. Leinbach RF, Markwell SJ, Colliver JA, Lin SY. Hot versus cold tonsillectomy: a systematic review of the literature. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surgery. 2003 Oct;129(4):360-4. DOI: 10.1016/s0194-5998(03)00729-0. PMID: 14574289.
13. Pang YT, el-Hakim H, Rothera MP. Bipolar diathermy tonsillectomy. Clinical Otolaryngology Allied Science. 1994 Aug;19(4):355-7. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2273.1994.tb01247.x. PMID: 7994897.
Copyright (c) 2022 Muhammad Saleem, Ashar Alamgir, Syeda Jamila Ali, Hafiz Sajjad Hyder, Sarwat Bibi, Sumara Tabassum
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
All research articles published in the Journal of Rawalpindi Medical College (JRMC) are fully open access: immediately freely available to read, download, and share. Copyrights of all articles published in JRMC are retained by the authors. First publication rights are granted to JRMC. The journal/publisher is not responsible for subsequent uses of the work.
All articles are published under the Creative Commons Attribution (CC BY-SA 4.0) license.