INTRODUCTION: Human kidney constitutes an integral organ during the period of embryogenesis. The use of regular ultrasound during antenatal follow ups not only assesses structural aspects of fetal body but can also evaluate functional integrity of developing organs to some extent. Unfortunately, fetal renal hemodynamics has been studied more in western population which have better socio-economic status as well as good antenatal care. Our study aims at establishing a normal reference range for fetal renal artery indices in healthy Pakistani pregnant population which has not been done before.
METHODOLOGY: This is a nonprobability convenient study investigating 130 healthy pregnant women during 18-38weeks of gestation. Resistivity and pulsatility indices (RI and PI) of the fetal renal arteries were evaluated dividing the patients in four groups as per their gestational age. Normal reference ranges of RI and PI values were established. P values for RI and PI were also being calculated.
RESULTS: Mean values of the RI and PI of the fetal renal arteries were calculated. P value for RI is 0.05 and PI is 0.69. Hence the values remain unaltered with advancing gestational age.
CONCLUSIONS: These reference ranges demonstrate the minimal change of the fetal renal hemodynamics during healthy pregnancies pertinent to our reference population. These may be applicable in antenatal practice to identify deviations from these reference ranges and will be beneficial in further studies related to prediction of fetal renal function.
- Ryan D, Sutherland MR, Flores TJ, Kent AL, Dahlstrom JE, Puelles VG, Bertram JF, McMahon AP, Little MH, Moore L, Black MJ. Development of the Human Fetal Kidney from Mid to Late Gestation in Male and Female Infants. EBioMedicine. 2018 Jan;27:275-283. doi: 10.1016/j.ebiom.2017.12.016. Epub 2017 Dec 20.
- Rosenblum S, Pal A, Reidy K. Renal development in the fetus and premature infant. Semin Fetal Neonatal Med. 2017 Apr;22(2):58-66. doi: 10.1016/j.siny.2017.01.001. Epub 2017 Feb 1.
- Alia, N., Ahmed, I., Mahais, A.H., & Perveen, N. CONGENITAL ANOMALIES : PREVALENCE OF CONGENITAL ABNORMALITIES IN 2 ND TRIMESTER OF PREGNANCY IN MADINA TEACHING HOSPITAL , FAISALABAD ON GRAY SCALE ULTRASOUND. Journal of University Medical & Dental College.2012.
- Montaldo P, Puzone S, Caredda E, Pugliese U, Inserra E, Cirillo G, Gicchino F, Campana G, Ursi D, Galdo F, Internicola M, Spagnuolo F, Carpentieri M, Capristo C, Marzuillo P, Del Giudice EM. Impact of intrauterine growth restriction on cerebral and renal oxygenation and perfusion during the first 3 days after birth. Sci Rep. 2022 Mar 24;12(1):5067. doi: 10.1038/s41598-022-09199-5.
- Schrauben EM, Saini BS, Darby JRT, Soo JY, Lock MC, Stirrat E, Stortz G, Sled JG, Morrison JL, Seed M, Macgowan CK. Fetal hemodynamics and cardiac streaming assessed by 4D flow cardiovascular magnetic resonance in fetal sheep. J Cardiovasc Magn Reson. 2019 Jan 21;21(1):8. doi: 10.1186/s12968-018-0512-5.
- Veille JC, Kanaan C. Duplex Doppler ultrasonographic evaluation of the fetal renal artery in normal and abnormal fetuses. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 1989 Dec;161(6 Pt 1):1502-7. doi: 10.1016/0002-9378(89)90913-7.
- Polin RA, Abman SH, Rowitch DH, Benitz WE, Fox WW. Fetal and neonatal physiology. Fifth ed. Philadelphia, PA: Elsevier; 2017.
- Brennan S, Watson D, Schneider M, Rudd D, Kandasamy Y. Fetal renal artery blood flow - Normal ranges. Ultrasound. 2022 Feb;30(1):62-71. doi: 10.1177/1742271X211022402. Epub 2021 Jun 15.
- Vyas S, Nicolaides KH, Campbell S. Renal artery flow-velocity waveforms in normal and hypoxemic fetuses. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 1989 Jul;161(1):168-72. doi: 10.1016/0002-9378(89)90257-3.
- Mari G, Kirshon B, Abuhamad A. Fetal renal artery flow velocity waveforms in normal pregnancies and pregnancies complicated by polyhydramnios and oligohydramnios. Obstet Gynecol. 1993 Apr;81(4):560-4.
- Doherty TM, Hu A, Salik I. Physiology, Neonatal. 2022 Apr 28. In: StatPearls [Internet]. Treasure Island (FL): StatPearls Publishing; 2022 Jan.
- Mari G, Kirshon B, Abuhamad A. Fetal Renal Artery Flow Velocity Waveforms in Normal Pregnancies and Pregnancies Complicated by Polyhydramnios and Oligohydramnios. Obstet Gynecol. 1993;81(4):560-4.
- Brennan S. The renal parenchyma – evaluation of a novel ultrasound measurement to assess fetal renal development. PhD Thesis, James Cook University.2020.
- Ponglopisit S, Hanprasertpong T, Geater A, Petpichetchian C, Kor-anantakula O, Leetanaporn R, Suntharasaj T, Suwanrath C, Pruksanusak N, Pranpanus S, Jitpiboon W. Doppler waveform patterns and reference ranges of fetal renal artery blood flow indices in normal Thai fetuses during the second trimester. Asian Biomedicine. 2015;9(2): 217-224. https://doi.org/10.5372/1905-7415.0902.390
- Doro GF, Senra JC, Rodrigues AS, Miyadahira S, Ribeiro RL, Francisco RPV, et al. Renal vascularization indexes and fetal hemodynamics in fetuses with growth restriction. Prenat Diagn. 2017;37(8):837-42.
- Tsai P-Y, Chang C-H. Assessment of the blood flow in kidneys of growth-restricted fetuses using quantitative three-dimensional power Doppler ultrasound. Taiwan J Obstet Gynecol. 2018;57(5):665-7.
- Ali A, Addley S, Ong S. Three-dimensional indices of renal perfusion in normal pregnancy and pre-eclampsia. Ir J Med Sci. 2019;188(1):173-7.
- Barbero A, Porcu C, Spezzigu A, Succu S, Dattena M, Gallus M, Molle G, Naitana S, Gonzalez-Bulnes A, Berlinguer F. Changes in renal hemodynamics of undernourished fetuses appear earlier than IUGR evidences. J Dev Orig Health Dis. 2018 Jun;9(3):338-343. doi: 10.1017/S204017441800003X. Epub 2018 Jan 28.
- Mundkur A, Paladugu S, Yedlapalli S, Vasudeva A, Shivananda RP, Hegde N. Performance of Fetal Renal Artery Doppler Compared with Umbilical Artery Doppler in Mild and Moderate Fetal Growth Restriction: An Observational Study in a Tertiary Care Hospital. Int J Infertil Fetal Med 2020; 11 (1):1-4.
- Andriani G, Persico A, Tursini S, Ballone E, Cirotti D, Lelli Chiesa P. The renal-resistive index from the last 3 months of pregnancy to 6 months old. BJU Int. 2001 Apr;87(6):562-4. doi: 10.1046/j.1464-410x.2001.00085.x.
- Azpurua H, Dulay AT, Buhimschi IA, Bahtiyar MO, Funai E, Abdel-Razeq SS, Luo G, Bhandari V, Copel JA, Buhimschi CS. Fetal renal artery impedance as assessed by Doppler ultrasound in pregnancies complicated by intraamniotic inflammation and preterm birth. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2009 Feb;200(2):203.e1-11. doi: 10.1016/j.ajog.2008.11.001.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Copyright (c) 2023 Beenish Nadeem, Naushaba Malik, Anam Zahoor