Spectrum of Hematological and Non-Hematological Diseases on Bone Marrow Examination-A Study on 220 Cases at a Tertiary Care Centre
Background: Bone marrow examination is an invaluable tool in the diagnosis of hematological and non-hematological diseases. Referral is made based on the clinical after analyzing CBC and peripheral film.
Objective: This study aims at evaluating the spectrum of diseases diagnosed on bone marrow biopsy at a tertiary care hospital of Rawalpindi, Pakistan.
Materials and Methods: This descriptive, cross-sectional study was carried out at the pathology department of Holy family hospital for a duration of 1 year after ethical approval from IRF. All 220 cases requiring bone marrow examination were included in the study by consecutive sampling technique. Variables like age, gender, presenting complaints, examination findings, CBC, peripheral blood film, indications and diagnosis of bone marrow examination were noted. Data was analyzed using SPSS v22.
Results: Mean age was 29.15±20.9 years. 117(53.2%) specimens were of males and 103(46.8%) were of females. Spectrum of hematological and non-hematological diseases found on bone marrow examination ranged from acute leukemia in 37(16.8%), megaloblastic anemia in 29(13.1%).The relationship between indications of referral and diagnosis of bone marrow examination was found to be statistically significant showing that suspected diagnosis made by the clinician was same as the final diagnosis in many cases. Pancytopenia was found major indication in most diseases (32.7%).
Conclusion: Bone marrow examination is a useful tool in ascertaining diagnosis of various hematological and non-hematological disorders. Pancytopenia was found to be major indication whereas, acute leukemia and megaloblastic anemia were most common malignant and benign hematological disorders on bone marrow examination, respectively.
2. Gupta AK, Gupta S, Gupta R, Kumar V. Diagnosis of Non-Neoplastic Haematological Disorders using Bone Marrow Aspiration and Trephine Biopsy.
3. Pudasaini S, Prasad K, Rauniyar S, Shrestha R, Gautam K, Pathak R, et al. Interpretation of bone marrow aspiration in hematological disorder. Journal of Pathology of Nepal. 2012;2(4):309-12.
4. Riley RS, Hogan TF, Pavot DR, Forysthe R, Massey D, Smith E, et al. A pathologist's perspective on bone marrow aspiration and biopsy: I. Performing a bone marrow examination. Journal of clinical laboratory analysis. 2004;18(2):70-90.
5. Shah NV, Goswami F, Rathod P, Nasit J, Singh M, Gidwani R. Diagnostic spectrum of Bone Marrow Aspiration in Evaluation of Haematological and Non-hematological disorders.
6. Raina JS, Kundal R, Puri P, Puri A, Kumar K, Attri HK. Correlation between Different Blood Investigations-Peripheral Blood Film and Bone Marrow Findings in Cases of Pancytopenia.
7. Agrawal S, Bhandari R, Gowda VN, Gupta A, Singh N, Chowdhury N, et al. Hematological and biochemical predictors of bone marrow metastases in non-hematological malignancies: a clinico-pathological analysis. medRxiv. 2020.
8. Syed NN, Moiz B, Adil SN, Khurshid M. Diagnostic importance of bone marrow examination in non-hematological disorders. JPMA The Journal of the Pakistan Medical Association. 2007;57(3):123-5. PubMed PMID: 17432015.
9. Khan SP, Sajjad G, Shareefa A. Bone marrow aspiration in haematological disorders: study at a tertiary care centre. Int J Res Med Sci. 2018;6:2363.
10. Qahtani FA, Syed NN. An audit- indications and diagnosis of bone marrow biopsies at a tertiary care hospital in Saudi Arabia. Hematology & Transfusion International Journal. 2018;6.
11. Prajapati Z, Kokani MJ, Gonsai R. Clinicoepidemiological profile of hematological malignancies in pediatric age group in Ahmedabad. Asian Journal of Oncology. 2017;3(01):054-8.
12. Belai N, Ghebrenegus AS, Alamin AA, Alamin AA, Embaye G, Andegiorgish AK. Patterns of bone marrow aspiration confirmed hematological malignancies in Eritrean National Health Laboratory. BMC hematology. 2019;19:8. doi: 10.1186/s12878-019-0138-3. PubMed PMID: 31073409; PubMed Central PMCID: PMCPmc6498504.
13. Ghartimagar D, Ghosh A, Thapa S, Sapkota D, Jhunjhunwala AK, Narasimhan R, et al. Clinicohematological Study of Pancytopenia in a Tertiary Care Hospital of Western Region of Nepal. Journal of the Nepal Medical Association. 2017;56(207).
14. Gandapur AS, Nadeem S, Riaz M, Modood ul M. DIAGNOSTIC IMPORTANCE OF BONE MARROW EXAMINATION IN HAEMATOLOGICAL MALIGNANT AND NON-MALIGNANT DISORDERS. Journal of Ayub Medical College, Abbottabad : JAMC. 2015;27(3):692-4. PubMed PMID: 26721042.
15. Meena S, Sukriti SB, Patni A. DIAGNOSTIC IMPORTANCE OF BONE MARROW ASPIRATION IN HEMATOLOGICAL DISORDERS–TERTIARY CARE CENTRE BASED STUDY.
16. Donald S, Kakkar N. Dry tap on bone marrow aspiration: a red flag. Journal of Hematopathology. 2021;14(2):125-30.
17. Khan MI, Ahmad N, Fatima SH. HAEMATOLOGICAL DISORDERS; ANALYSIS OF HEMATOLOGICAL DISORDERS THROUGH BONE MARROW BIOPSY EXAMINATION. Professional Medical Journal. 2018;25(6).
18. Ghori MR, Khan H, Marwat M. Distribution of non-malignant hematological disorders by sex, age groups and type of disease based on bone marrow aspiration in population of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, Pakistan. Gomal Journal of Medical Sciences. 2019;17(2):29-36.
19. Munir AH, Qayyum S, Gul A, Ashraf Z. Bone marrow aspiration findings in a tertiary care hospital of peshawar. Journal of Postgraduate Medical Institute (Peshawar-Pakistan). 2015;29(4).
20. Gayathri BN, Rao KS. Pancytopenia: a clinico hematological study. Journal of laboratory physicians. 2011;3(1):15-20. doi: 10.4103/0974-2727.78555. PubMed PMID: 21701657; PubMed Central PMCID: PMCPmc3118050.
Copyright (c) 2021 Fatima Rauf, Nowera Zafar, Hira Asif
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
All research articles published in the Journal of Rawalpindi Medical College (JRMC) are fully open access: immediately freely available to read, download, and share. Copyrights of all articles published in JRMC are retained by the authors. First publication rights are granted to JRMC. The journal/publisher is not responsible for subsequent uses of the work.
All articles are published under the Creative Commons Attribution (CC BY-SA 4.0) license.